We recently took a trip to the Varner-Hogg Plantation which is in West Columbia, Tx. This is about an hour away, South West from Downtown Houston. To be honest, we didn’t know what to expect because the 6 years that we have lived in Houston, we have never heard of the place. I highly recommend this trip for a family trip, or for an educational experience. This plantation is filled with history that is truly fascinating!
Our Trip To Varner-Hogg Plantation
You will be greeted with nice staff in the visitor center where the gift shop is located. That’s where you will start the tour. They do have self-guided and guided tours. The entrance fee is minimal. Plan to spend up to 2 hours there. The plantation is surrounded by beautiful Pecan trees on a 65.66 acre lot, which features a refurbished Greek Revival plantation house built in 1835.
If you are a history buff or you just love to learn new things then this if for you and your family.
Tips To Consider
- You can bring your own picnic. They have a designated picnic area.
- You must ride their bikes! They are a lot of fun. They rent them out for 5 dollars an hour
- Bring your camera. There are beautiful trees and cottages that you will want to capture on camera.
- Recommended time to go is in the morning. It can get pretty hot during the afternoon especially in the summer. You will have to walk some.
- Bring mosquito repellent and a first aid kit. You will have to walk off the path into the grass to see some exhibits.
You can now rent cottages! Check out their website for more information. If you know someone who is engaged or they want to renew their vows, they do have weddings and anniversaries on the property.
We had an awesome time learning about the history of this plantation. It was both educational and fun! I highly recommend this place.
To read more posts like this go to: Magnolia Adventure + Tips
Thanks for reading,